I know first-hand from my entrepreneurial experiences of having offices full of people how important it is for everyone – especially “the boss” – to keep emotions in check. I also know how difficult it can be. That is why I wanted to share this article from the Wall Street Journal with you.
The article, Dealing with a Boss Who Yells, explains some of the pitfalls of having a “screamer” as a boss and some of the best ways of dealing with this type of person.
Missing from the article is the fact that the number one reason cited by many people who leave a job is that they had problems with their boss.* As the saying goes: “Employees don’t quit their companies, they quit their bosses.”
Major takeaways from this article:
Pitfalls of Screaming:
- Employee effectiveness is significantly diminished when yelling takes place.
- Managers don’t yell for fear of becoming the “star of a co-worker’s cellphone videotape gone viral.” (I hadn’t thought of that one!)
How to Deal avoid Screaming:
- Hold short, frequent meetings with employees having problems, instead of letting the anger build into a “nuclear bomb.”
- Wait 24 hours before responding to a difficult situation. (I call that “parking the issue” and have found that to be a very effective means for resolving conflict.)
What solutions have you employed to deal with a screaming boss – or to keep yourself from being one?
To read the full article in the Wall Street Journal, click here: When the Boss is a Screamer
*According to a survey recently completed by Greg Smith of Chart Your Course International, “thirty-five percent of the respondents answered yes to the question, Was the attitude of your direct supervisor/manager the primary factor in your quitting a previous job?”
Latest posts by Gina Carr (see all)
- The Potato Diet – Potato Feast – Potato Detox - January 17, 2017
- Taking Back my Health – The Journey Began with an Early Morning Exercise Class - August 31, 2016
- How to Handle a Negative Review with Marilyn Suttle, Customer Service Expert – BLAB - March 8, 2016
Filed Under: Tribe Building