There are a couple of options. You might choose to delete the group. However, I think it is better to keep the group but to make some changes so that it does not remain “active” – at least officially.
The primary reason that you should keep it active is that you might want to contact the people who are in the group and you can do that easily with an email post that goes out to all the members. This is a pretty powerful tool.
In the past, people used GROUPS to market their business. Now that Facebook PAGES have evolved, a PAGE is generally a much better place to promote a business for a variety of reasons that are beyond the scope of this article. (For more information, see Facebook for Business: The Top 10 Reasons You Need a Facebook Page for Your Business)
If you decide to keep the group, I suggest you do the following:
1. Do a post that says: “Thanks for stopping by! We don’t really use this GROUP right now. Please join us on our Facebook Page www.fb.com/yourpage.”
2. Go back to the group often to put a comment under that post so that it will stay at the top of the page.
3. Edit the Group so that you can change the Group Information and the Privacy Settings.
In “Edit Group,” do the following:
- Change the privacy settings so that it becomes a SECRET group. That way, it won’t show up when someone is searching for your company.
- Make sure that only ADMINs can approve new members.
- Set up the Group EMAIL so that you can use it later if you wish.
- Add the same description as above about “Thanks for stopping by….”
© Copyright 2011 Gina Carr International.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? To publish this article in your ezine or website, please include the following:
Gina Carr is an Entrepreneur, Speaker and Marketing Consultant who works with entrepreneurs and authors to leverage social media marketing for publicity, profits and success. Combining her street-smarts learned as a publisher and small business owner with her book-smarts learned at the Harvard Business School (MBA 1990) and Georgia Tech (BIE 1984), Gina helps business owners turn great ideas into profitable money-making machines. Known around the world as The Tribe Builder, Gina helps passionate people build powerful tribes of raving fans for their business or non-profit organization. Get connected with Gina at www.tribebuildingtips.com and www.ginacarr.com..
Disclaimer: This post may include affiliate links for products and services I endorse and promote. These are always products and services that I have personally used and highly recommend.
Latest posts by Gina Carr (see all)
- The Potato Diet – Potato Feast – Potato Detox - January 17, 2017
- Taking Back my Health – The Journey Began with an Early Morning Exercise Class - August 31, 2016
- How to Handle a Negative Review with Marilyn Suttle, Customer Service Expert – BLAB - March 8, 2016
Filed Under: Uncategorized